Battle of Thirupurambiyam

Chola ruler Aditya I was the son of Vijayalaya who was a feudatory of the Pallava rulers. 

In 879 CE Aditya I joined a confederacy of Pallavas and Western Gangas to defeat the Pandyan ruler Varagunavarman II in the Battle of Sri Purambiyam or Thirupurambiyam  near Kumbakonam in the  Thanjavur district of Tamil Nadu. 

Varagunavarman II lost the battle though Western Ganga king Prithvipati I lost his life in the battle. The confederacy was led by the Pallava king Aparajita. 

Prithivipati I was buried in a pallipadai temple in the village of Thirupurambiyam. 

Not satisfied with remaining subordinate to the Pallava power, Aditya I now embarked on a campaign to altogether extinguish the Pallava power and killed its last ruler Aparajita in c. 897 CE, bringing the Pallava territory under the Chola dominions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Battle of Thirupurambiyam

Chola ruler Aditya I was the son of Vijayalaya who was a feudatory of the Pallava rulers.  In 879 CE Aditya I joined a confederacy of Pallav...